Husband - Harry Porter - Died February 15, 1923 at 64 years of age. Buried in Woodland Cemetery, Des Moines, Iowa
A Brief History of Tome*
Mrs. Porter founds the library in her home on "Burg Hill" in 1932 and writes to her friends with her famous quote "Send me your books for the children of Gatlinburg have nothing to read."
1934 - The library moves to a small room at what is presently 449 Parkway which was owned by Allie Reagan Ownby.
Between '35 and '36 the library moved to a room above the old post office which tripled as a bus station and drug store.
1937 - The library moved onto a property owned by Charles A. Ogle on Main Street now known as the Mountain Mall.
1940 - The library is officially incorporated on June 7 by Anna Wheaton Porter, Eunice Weaver, Pearl Whaley, Ethel K. Voorheis and Judith Jacques Holt, each holding their own place and prestige in Gatlinburg.
1942 - Mrs. Porter passes away
1950 - The library moves to a house owned by Antoinette Ogle
1956 - the library moves to Mills Auditorium on Airport Road.
1972 - the City of Gatlinburg provided the funds for a new building solely for the library at 207 Cherokee Orchard Rd.
1996 - Plans and efforts by the Board of Trustees are set forth for a larger building
2004 - Funds continue to be raised
2009 - The library is constructed and finished at its present location at 158 Proffitt Rd
Clarkson Porter - passed away at 5 months of Age in 1882
Ethel Mae Porter Trainer - Born - November 9, 1879, Iowa - Died - January 22, 1963 - Passed at her home in Gatlinburg
Pearl Isabel Porter - Described as "invalid" - Born - June 26, 1883 - Died - March 13, 1961 - Buried in Woodland Cemetery, Des Moines, Iowa
Dorothy Trainer Lexau - Granddaughter of Anna and daughter of Ethel Mae Porter and William E. Trainer