Mrs. Porter founds the library in her home on "Burg Hill" in 1932 and writes to her friends with her famous quote.
1934 - The library moves to a small room at what is presently 449 Parkway which was owned by Allie Reagan Ownby.
Between '35 and '36 the library moved to a room above the old post office which tripled as a bus station and drug store.
1937 - The library moved onto a property owned by Charles A. Ogle on Main Street now known as the Mountain Mall.
1940 - The library is officially incorporated on June 7 by Anna Wheaton Porter, Eunice Weaver, Pearl Whaley, Ethel K. Voorheis and Judith Jacques Holt, each holding their own place and prestige in Gatlinburg.
1942 - Mrs. Porter passes away
1950 - The library moves to a house owned by Antoinette Ogle
1956 - the library moves to Mills Auditorium on Airport Road.
1972 - the City of Gatlinburg provided the funds for a new building solely for the library at 207 Cherokee Orchard Rd.
1996 - Plans and efforts by the Board of Trustees are set forth for a larger building
2004 - Funds are continued to be raised
2009 - The library is constructed and finished at it's present location at 158 Proffitt Rd
*the title is a play on Stephen Hawkings Brief history of Time. Tome is synonymous with book.
Born - March 24, 1860 (Iowa)
Died - May 27, 1942 (Sevier County, TN)
Cause of death - Bronchial Pneumonia
Father - Jeremiah Wheaton (born in CT)
Mother - Eliza Case Wheaton (born in OH)
Sister - Edna H. Porter of Des Moines, Iowa
Husband - Harry Porter - Died February 15, 1923 at 64 years of age. Buried in Woodland Cemetery, Des Moines, Iowa
Clarkson Porter - passed away at 5 months of Age in 1882
Ethel Mae Porter Trainer - Born - November 9, 1879, Iowa - Died - January 22, 1963 - Passed at her home in Gatlinburg
Pearl Isabel Porter - Described as "invalid" - Born - June 26, 1883 - Died - March 13, 1961 - Buried in Woodland Cemetery, Des Moines, Iowa
Dorothy Trainer Lexau - Granddaughter of Anna and daughter of Ethel Mae Porter and William E. Trainer